Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Presto....It's Fall.

I don't know why it always surprises me so much. Woosh. Suddenly it's Fall. It's OK actually, Fall might be my favorite season, but I still drag my feet when everything switches up. (I know I'm not supposed to capitalize the seasons, but I happen to think that particular grammar rule is wrong. If Wednesday gets to be a proper noun, then I personally think Fall ought to be one too)

Anyhow, Labor Day weekend was lovely, now the kids are in school, the woods are oh-so-quiet. We send a few groups out every day---people who have discovered the secret, and are willing to bring their warm clothes for fall camping--for the chance at spectacular stars, sharp colors, silent woods.

We have a tradition that marks the last day of summer. We do a little hiking, a little swimming, a little playing, a little eating, and hang around the campfire --and I love it for a number of reasons.
1. It has always been fun.
2. These are really really nice families.
3. The woods are great, but sometimes in the summer I forget that Lake Superior and the North Shore are beautiful too.
4. The kids still swim---even when the water is freezing.
5. It's really fun.
6. These are really nice people.......................................................................................

In a life that seems to change so much, I sure do like traditions.

No comments: